Recycling is one of the easiest ways we can help save the environment. I wanted to share a few facts that made me realize the impact we can all have if we take the time to sort paper, plastic and glass.
By recycling just 1/10th of newspapers distributed, it would save 25,000 trees per year.
- The average household throws away 13,000 pieces of paper a year.
- That includes – magazines, catalogs, phone books, direct mail, brochures, pamphlets, booklets, cereal, cake, cookie and cracker boxes.
Americans generate 10.5 tons of plastic per year with only 2% being recycled
- Plastic items to recycle
- Remove plastic tops from containers.
- Empty content and Rinse plastic jars with water before recycling.
- Crush plastic containers to create more space in your recycling bin
- Check the bottom of the plastic containers to make sure they are recyclable.
- All glass is 100% recyclable
- Recycled glass is reusable and lowers manufacturing costs when reformed into a new glass container.
- Glass items to be recycle
- Dump and rinse out contents of the glass container
- Remove the plastic tops and recycle with plastics
- You do not have to remove the labels from the glass as they are incinerated during the crushing or melting process
Do you have any other recycling tips that I can add to this list? I’d love to hear from you.